Ferris Wheel (Post 6)

I haven’t had much time to work on this the last few days to a week as work is pretty busy. But I managed to get a bunch of parts printed yesterday and I was able to assemble some of it today. I had to make a jig to mount it to the table to hold it as it is rather large.

These parts are not the final parts, these are just the test prints to allow me to size up the frame I am going to need to model and print. Also this allows me to gather some ideas on how I will model and connect the seats. This is going to be a long project, but I think the end result will be well worth it.

Goto Post 5 | Goto Post 7

Ferris Wheel (Post 3)

I didn’t like the stability of the single screw mounting of the spokes so I remodeled the spokes and connectors. I am printing enough parts to test assemble one side of the wheel before moving forward.

Here is a screenshot of the wheel. According to the model, it is 825 mm in diameter.

Well I now have a good portion of one of the sides printed and assembled. I thought I would share an image of it so you can see how big it really is. Also you can see both printers printing away.

Goto Post 2 | Goto Post 4

Ferris Wheel (Post 1)

I started a new project yesterday and wanted to share it with everyone, I can post frequently when there are updates to share. It was suggested I start a new topic for this so everyone can see the progress.

I was playing Forza 6 on the X-Box One S and in the distance I seen a colorful Ferris Wheel, that is where this idea came from. I wanted it to be more like the ones when I was a kid, so I am modeling based off of memories as well as some random images I find throughout the web, this will mostly be my own rendition of the Ferris Wheel. The intent is to have it motorized and it will be very large for a 3D Printed model.

I have already had 3 revisions at the spokes and the connectors as well as the center hub. This will also incorporate some bearings (I believe) to be sure it spins true and free.

Here is a quick screenshot of the project. This is a work in progress and could change multiple times as I test print parts for fitment and size.

Here is a quick glimpse of the parts I modeled to create what you see so far.

Got the wheel part mostly complete. Printing some test parts before going to far to be sure it works as planned. So far there are 218 parts in this model, and many more to come.

Goto Post 2

Hexabot now walking

After playing around with the files I finally got it walking.  Eventually I hope to do far more with it, but this is a great first start.

The  electronics used can be found here:  Trossen Robotics

Below is a list of what I used, plus all associated cables.   All parts were purchased at http://www.trossenrobotics.com/

  • ArbotiX-M Robocontroller
  • 2 x XBee Radio
  • 1 x 11.1v 4500mAh LiPo Battery
  • 1 x LiPo Battery Harness
  • 1 x 6 Port AX/MX Power Hub
  • 1 x UARTSBee FTDI Programmer
  • 1 x Arbotix Commander
  • 18 x AX-12 or AX-18A Servos

 

Hexabot STL Files now available

Now that I have did some basic testing of the hexabot, I wanted to share the STL files as promised.  This hexabot was created using Shapr3D on my iPad Pro.  The STL files are exported as High Quality.

Please be sure to read all info posted with the files.  If you have questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

STL Files:  RH Hexabot STL Files

Simple Solder Holder

While working on my hexabot, I realized that I should have purchased a solder holder.  While making a cable to power the bot from a power supply so that I didn’t need to worry about batteries during the programming and test states of this project my solder kept rolling around.

So I decided to pull out my iPad Pro open up Shapr3D and design one.  Here are a couple pics and a link to the STL files should you wish to print one.

STL Files:  Simple Solder Holder

Hexabot Update 3

I finally got the design working the way I wanted it to (after 8 revisions to the design).  It is now printed and mostly assembled and wired.  I created a test video today showing the test sequence of the servos.  This uses the PhantomX Build Check Code to test servos and controller.  This bot is using all the same electronics.  The code is open source best I can tell which allows me to use it.

My design was inspired by the PhantomX do to having 20 Dynamixel  AX-12A servos.  I had them in my HR-OS1, but I decided that project wasn’t for me, at least not right now, so I made use of most of the electronics building this bot.  All parts were modeled by me using Shapr3D on an iPad Pro.  No 3D printed part is the same as a PhantomX but all electronics are the same and were either part of my HR-OS1 kit which was purchased from Trossen Robotics and any parts that were not in the HR-OS1 kit, I ordered them from Trossen Robotics.  I would have just ordered a PhantomX but I wanted to test my modeling skills and use my 3D printer.  However to avoid copyright issues no part is identical, and as I mentioned the software is open source and posted on the Trossen Robotics website publicly.